Dusting off dreams…

As I turn to leave my forties….one backward glance goodbye,
my eyes land on some dreams gone stale,
dusty heartcries and old glue pressed onto memory board,
edges curled and faded,
calling,  drawing me near
like a warm fire burning,
come and remember

Run your heart-fingers across this field of dreams,
of grapes kissed ripe by sunshine,
barefoot ballerina and deer drinking deep from stream,
of smooth stones stacked sturdy,
joyful fingers shaping clay,
building a place to heal and thrive and play.

Dust off the dreams of digging my life,
of hands held, seeds scattered and paths of peace,  grateful and wild;
of the paint-speckled girl turning cartwheels,  wind and clover in her hair
turned loose
and big results with little things,  simple and balanced and free,
of letting love flow…..getting out of the way.

Air out the dreams,  crisped fresh again,
of riversongs,  shamrocks on white icing
and the feel of cool bark on my tree-hugging face,
of windows rolled down on wide open road,
calm, unhurried thinking,
and for my art to make a difference….for my life to be my art,
hands in the air,
deeply alive and in love.
Dream it strong…..I dare you.

It’s my birthday!
I’m ready for a new decade(and taking that dare).
I’ve dusted off some dreams-gone-stale and am letting them mess with me
in a wonderful way.
And hey,  if you lived next door,  I’d skip to your door and invite you out to play
and there would be cake
and I’d share the wishes
and we’d take down the candles together:)

1. rachel awes on January 15, 2012 at 3:46 pm

i am so happy that you be/+ LOVE your artwork about this!
    happy birthday, love! how i love both the child + adult of you!
    +++
    * i take down the candles with you from afar (but so near, really).
    LOVE you. xoxox

2. Mary on January 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

numbers may increase, but the heart, oh the heart can grow more child like in its trust, seeking, loving and dependence on the one who knows our dreams. the one who invites and draws us to love and freedom.

i see your heart expand and grow young.

birthday love to you dear Jen

3. Bren on January 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm

We get to dream new dreams when we hit that momentous number 🙂 Life gains yet another level of understanding and new wisdom. It’s a good place to be and my friend you make 50 look great! Happy Birthday, fill it with laughter, those you love and something just for you!

4. Nancy on January 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm

The best of the plan designed for you before the world was created is yet to come my sweet friend…..Let the fun and the adventures begin……Hold on tight and experience the joy that is before you…..

Happy Birthday to a sweet and precious friend…
    Love you,
    Nancy

5. ELK on January 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

happiest of birthdays .. your dreams come to life on that amazing collage … and the words that dance across my screen! sending birthday hugs across the miles!

6. suz on January 15, 2012 at 7:38 pm

oh my 50….why you’re just a babe
    It’s all where you stand
    I feel your years have been just what they were supposed to be
    and wonderful
    I too have an archeological collage board
    yes….ring my doorbell…I’ll be right out
    Happy birthday

7. JeMA on January 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Your life is your art my spirited friend. I would hear your knock, open wide my door and celebrate you as we skipped into the field. Happy, happy birthday to such a beautiful woman.

8. S. Etole on January 15, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Sending happy birthday thoughts to knock on your door. Play strong!

9. Liz on January 15, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Dearest Dearest Jen,

Celebrating you, your birthday, and your Life with all of my heart, there in spirit with you, cheering you on as you blow out candles and make new wishes…I would eat cake with gusto alongside you and make a toast to people who color our canvases with their lovely lives…

….fifty looks fabulous on you m’dear…I am so grateful for the day you were born, so grateful for the Gift of you.

love and warmest wishes for your beautiful new year,
    your friend,
    Liz

10. JBR on January 16, 2012 at 5:52 am

Wooooooooooooo Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Happy Happy Happy BIRTHDAY!!!!

11. suz on January 16, 2012 at 8:14 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JANIS JOPLIN WANNA BE
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY AND ALWAYS..JENNIFER
    LOVE THE ARTWORK….

12. Lynn (aka Nacher) on January 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

How wonderful! Great way to embrace the next decade. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Just like you. If you lived next door to me and invited me to play, I would be sure to wear lots of pockets to stash the treasure we found as we played in the woods and ate cake and shared wishes. I’ll share one with you right now. I wish for you to have a magical decade full of love and laughter and sweet art success!
    Happy Birthday!

13. Anita on January 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

What beautiful words to welcome a new decade, dear Jen!
    Cake and wishes and hand holding and skipping out to play sound like the perfect way to spend the day, and the perfect way to inspire the amazing art that you create.
    Happy birthday dear Jennifer, happy birthday to you!
    xo, Anita

14. beth on January 16, 2012 at 10:03 pm

the happiest of birthdays to you…..so was it yesterday, the 15th ?
    if it was, that’s my sister’s birthday and little miss sophie’s birthday, too…..it was her golden birthday and for a pooch, that’s pretty damn good 🙂
    xoxo

15. Barbara on January 17, 2012 at 7:00 am

Jennifer, I felt the same way when I turned 50! You express it so beautifully! May you see those dreams come true soon!

16. Anne on January 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

“and for my art to make a difference….for my life to be my art,
    hands in the air,
    deeply alive and in love.”
    Yes, yes, yes! So glad we have reconnected and looking forward to playing more and more with you in the days and years ahead!

17. Louise G on January 17, 2012 at 9:53 am

And what a joyous day that would be when you skip to my door.

I am so grateful you skip to my place and visit. I am so grateful you are here to visit.

and I am grateful the world has you as a resident in this time and place celebrating your special day.

happy (belated) Birthday Jenn!

18. Brandy on January 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

This was just beautiful! I hope that I’m “building a place to heal and thrive and play” too. Thank you for these refreshing words. I’m going to drink them in one more time before I go. Love and light, dear Jenn.

19. gael hogan on January 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

Dearest Jenn,

The Lord told me that for the first six weeks of this year I am to exercise 30 minutes outside of the house every day. I am obeying, not understanding–just trusting God. But then I read your prose, and now I know why: He is preparing me to run across my field of dreams. I have to get ready, get prepared, get in shape to do what He planted inside of me all those years ago. Thank you. Thank you, dear friend. And Jenn, enjoy your Jubilee! Celebrate your jubilee! It is God’s gift to you.

20. peggy on January 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Turning 50 really is glorious. The letting go feels so good and the gain in confidence is a plus. Stay young by remaining curious and playful, just as you’ve said so thoughtfully.

21. Poetic chronicles on January 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Oooh, what a sweet little girl you were/are! Too bad I don’t live next door! I’d come along and share a few of my own dreams to make them fresh and crispy again too, and I’d gulp down a huge part of cake of course 😉 Happy birthday Jen!!

22. eydie on January 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Jennifer,

Oh, if I lived next door. I’d skip on over
    in my most bestest of best party dresses. We’d dance,
    and twirl and I’d help you bring down those candles
    while you make the most Biggest of big wishes.

Have a beautiful celebration, my friend.

Oh, and please do show me your new dress.

23. missing moments on January 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I love this post! So delightful and filled with youth!

24. Mary on January 18, 2012 at 7:33 am

Happy birthday, Jennifer. May this new decade be filled with joy and wonder for you.

25. leslie on January 18, 2012 at 7:50 am

happy birthday to beautiful you! (and i remember those dresses… i may have worn one just like it… that lovely smocking at the yoke and the sweet white collars…)

26. jeanie on January 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

i’m a couple of days late, but the thought is there. You’ll love your 50s. Very content, I think. I hope so, for you! Happy Belated!

27. Sue on January 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm

These are such beautiful words! Look forward the best is yet to come.

28. Heather on January 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Magnificent prose! Happy Belated Birthday! I’ll take the dare and dare to follow my dreams. Very inspiring website, and creative artwork too. Glad to meet you through Liv Lane. 🙂

29. Jen {The Wholehearted Life} on January 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Such beautiful poetry and I love your artwork! I appreciate myself so much more as I grow older ~ as it appears you do too :).

30. Jess Morrow on January 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love what you’ve done here … the combination of gorgeous words & the visual art–wow. Glad I dropped by here. 🙂

31. Michele on January 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Lovely! Happy Birthday! Your beautiful pictures are medicine to my soul during a cold Canadian winter!

32. Marjie Kemper on January 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

Happy Birthday! Love your ‘jaunt around the sun’ line… fantastic mindset!

33. Christie on January 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Happy, happy, happy Birthday! I am so glad to have found you through BBTL, your site, photography and art are gorgeous and your words touch my soul. I look forward to reading more about you and your journey, you’re in my Reader now 🙂

34. Mimi and Tilly on January 20, 2012 at 8:18 am

Hi Jenny, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. Am coming over form BBLT. Your blog is beautiful. Em (Happy birthday too!)

35. Judy on January 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

A belated Happy Birthday to you, Jennifer!!
    Your words are amazing and I love your vision board! I found my 50’s to be so rewarding and liberating, and my early 60’s are even more so!!
    “…letting love flow…getting out of the way.” That’s the beauty of getting older, as well as allowing “… my life to be my art.” So beautifully expressed. Happy new decade! May it be a wonderfully fulfilling one!

36. Connie Smiley on January 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Jennifer, your art does make a difference, as do you. Happy Birthday!

37. Liv on January 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Stunning post, gorgeous art {and vision board!} and I LOVE the challenge to “dream it strong – I dare you.” Mmm-mmm-good.

38. Liv on January 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm

39. Briana on January 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Fabulous post Jennifer! I hope you had a grand and glorious birthday.
    Cheers to you and your next decade being the best one yet!
    -Briana

40. Jean on January 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Artwork, beautiful. Vision board – beautiful and hopefully an inspirational reminder for you. Thanks for sharing your transitioning thoughts. I will tell you that 40s are great! I hope you enjoy these early days of a great decade in life.

Nice to meet you through BBTL class. 🙂

41. Kim on January 22, 2012 at 7:36 am

You are so inspiring! Thank you for daring me. Happy Birthday Jennifer!

…”and for my art to make a difference….for my life to be my art,
    hands in the air,
    deeply alive and in love.
    Dream it strong…..I dare you.”

I needed this! Thank you so much!

42. Marcie on January 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Happy..happy belated birthday. Hope your day was everything you wished for..and more!

43. bonitarose on January 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm