Overflow overture….

For firm hands kneading tight muscles,
a tire swing waiting in the yard,
small brave farms raising fresh food from earth,
rocking chair ready
and all the little fascinations that make each soul unique,
I give thanks.

For angels and eggsalad,Β  soup and solitude,
stories and cinnamon and swallows and snowflakes,
hot clean bathwater
and teakettles when they whistle,
I give thanks.

For family and friends and strangers who smile,
the smell of fresh coffee and candles burning softly,
a belly full and sore from laughing,
movies and music and macaroni and cheese,
and all the many ways LOVE finds me
…..that Love is the strongest,
I give thanks.

For washes ofΒ  light
and kisses of breeze
and sweet doggie snuggles
and pie with whipped cream
Β Β and heartache and hassle
and the sting of feeling misunderstood,
frantic and frazzled and falling apart,
for my shepherd in the shitstorm,
and that I’m not alone,
I give thanks.

I hurl up praise through joy and ache
and fling myself headlong into the arms of grace
my battered heart is well and safe
and with relief I whisper thanks,
it is well
it is well
with my soul.

1. Cheri Wollenberg on November 6, 2011 at 7:26 am

Oh Jennifer,
    Finding you is like finding fresh air again. Your words are always so refreshing and grateful. I have been involved in a home move that is still not quite over! Losing touch with my new blogging friends has put me in a deep hole that is like scratching and digging trying to find the opening. Thanks again for your beautiful language and love that you share with us all:)
    Cheri

2. Bren on November 6, 2011 at 7:48 am

Now that is a list of ‘thankful’ worth remembering and beautifully expressed. I must admit though, among the many one phrase says it all for me, “my shepherd in the shitstorm” it puts a new fresh spin of Psalms 23 πŸ™‚

3. Lynn on November 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

Your pictures are always so vivid and colorful.
    Perfect accompaniment to words that are the same.

4. beth on November 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

i love everything you have given thanks to…..and the cinnamon and egg salad made me laugh πŸ™‚

5. jeanie on November 6, 2011 at 11:09 am

Oh, yes! Especially egg salad and angels! And I’d add to that, I give thanks for you and this haven called Ripplespeak.

6. Julia Of Petals and Wool on November 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

Jennifer,you said it all so well, and I echo your thanksgiving. It is well, it is well with my soul indeed. Happy Thanksgiving. Julia

7. Liv on November 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh yes!!! For angels and eggsalad, soup and solitude. LOVE this!

8. Liv on November 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh yes!!! For angels and eggsalad, soup and solitude. LOVE this!

9. rachel awes on November 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

for jennifers photos
    + flowers
    + words.
    for her hands
    + snowflakes
    + cinnamon (angels)…wouldn’t those smell so good?!!…
    i give thanks.
    for all the ways
    she spreads her loving heart,
    i offer praise.
    YES. xox

10. Barbara on November 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Love it – I’m thankful for your way with words and passionate voice!

11. Anyes - Far Away in the Sunshine on November 7, 2011 at 12:57 am

For the soft and bright light of your photographs and the beauty of your words…I thank you πŸ™‚

12. Eydie on November 7, 2011 at 1:02 am

Your words sang to me like a lullaby
    as I go of to sleep …
    and to you I give thanks.
    xoxo

• Loren on January 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This is way better than a brick & mortar etaslibshment.

13. elk on November 7, 2011 at 6:20 am

coming here makes me thankful .. your photos of garden blooms and list of simple pleasures have made my day! you are such a poet my friend!

14. Ron on November 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Beautiful Photos! And some wonderful things to be thankful for πŸ™‚

15. Connie Smiley on November 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thank you, thank you, Jennifer, for your wonderful words. I read it on the phone to a friend who also needed it, and we were both blessed.

16. Cousin Cathy on November 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

I am thankful for my cousin who is beautiful inside and out and has a wonderful gift with words. You mke us enjoy the simple things that are right outside our door. Thank you!

17. lisleman on November 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

great colors in your pics. I must say a shitstorm would be the best time to know a good shepherd.
    thanks for stopping by A Few Clowns Short.

18. missing moments on November 7, 2011 at 11:32 am

Just catching up from being away … beautiful photos, so colorful and vivid!

19. Anita on November 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Once again beautiful words and beautiful pictures from a beautiful soul.

Macaroni and Cheese always tops my list of things to be thankful for. also! πŸ™‚

xoxo, Anita

20. Poetic chronicles on November 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thankful for your beautiful poems Jennifer! They echo in my mind and heart as I feel and share many of the things you express. I really dig your genuine, spontaneous, kind of bouncing and dancing and radiating overflowing style πŸ™‚

21. Marcie on November 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Such a beautiful ‘ode to gratitude’. I give thanks for your extraordinary ability to express yourself and inspire.

22. S. Etole on November 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

my heart has smiled in gratitude for you and your words
    and the joy that is springing here

23. Liz on November 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm

What eye-popping, decadent Beauty…..every photo here made my jaw drop……..Loveliness itself, m’dear….and a much needed reminder for me, to give thanks…….

glad to have a traveling buddy like you, Jen……*so* *very* *thankful*,
    liz

24. Judy on November 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I love the way you express thanks for the seemingly mundane right along side with the profound. I love your verse and your photography. So glad I found your blog!

25. Sandra L. on November 8, 2011 at 1:27 am

Jennifer–How perfectly gorgeous! What are those purple daisy-like flowers?

You are so talented, my dear!

Love, Sandra

26. Mary Carroll on November 8, 2011 at 7:14 am

“I hurl up praise through joy and ache
    and fling myself headlong into the arms of grace”

What a beautiful, beautiful post — images and words, both!

27. Christina on November 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm

i found myself tearing up while reading your words
    then smiling because you shared them.
    xoxo

28. Janet on November 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Love, love, LOVE it. Music!!

29. Kathy on November 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I just LOVE the vibrant colors! Your blog makes me happy!

30. Dulcy Stewart on November 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Your photographs are super gorgeous, Jennifer! As are the words you write…. egg salad, soup, and solitude pretty much sums it all up as far as I’m concerned! I’m grateful to have visited here today….

dulcy

31. kamana on November 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm

so much beauty here that you share. my favourite is the first one. love the colour.

32. JeMA on November 9, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I love the “hot clean bathwater” as I long for the occasion! What beautiful words and photos. This blog is an inspiration!

33. Eva on December 4, 2011 at 8:22 am

Simply gorgeous…pictures and words…thank you for sharing. Love you.