Come to the edge….

What if I
come to the edge
of my muddy vision,
all the way to the tip
of secret strangleholds,
artful excuses
and the blame I can shift
so swiftly.
…. to the edge of my judgments,
 idealism
and escapism,
to the edge of all the ways
I go numb to real need.
spring
Really,  what if I come to the edge
of my urgency and agendas,
out past the anger
…further still where it turns
to deep shades of shame.
  all the way past the point
where longing turns to rage
and grief becomes fatigue
…that place where creative juices
leak out and puddle,
seeping into the ground
like liquid gold
spilled and wasted.
 all the way to the edge
of missed opportunity,
lost time
and lonely fears
….yeah,  right there,
my shaky toes curled
clinging
 over that  ledge.
spring
Ready to lose some terror,  my soul?
Come to the edge,
linger there
and let wild winds whip
your freak flag until the billows
tickle you grinning and giggling
with raw primal joy.
Yeah,  there.
what if you just come on out here
…..see what happens.
“Come to the edge,  he said.
They said,  we are afraid.
Come to the edge,  he said.
They came.
He pushed them…….and they flew”
 -(Guillaume Apollinaire)
ripplespeakCome to my etsy and see what’s blooming!

Comments

1. Oh how I love this post!!! Isn't that what we are called to do…come to the edge of ourselves…oh what wondrous adventures await us if we only will..

you words fit perfectly with Guillaume Apollinaire's poem…

Jen, may I copy this in my journal, as well as use it in one of my workshops…giving you credit of course.

2. I can feel the breathe of air under me as i fly ..your encouragement hung among the branches is a gift ~ blessings friend

3. Jennifer, I love this poem and there is so much food for thought here.

Just yesterday I was telling my husband, how I would be content of just being a housewife again with no other responsibilities. I remember when I was housewife, a stay at home mom with young 4 kids and how I longed for an identity, to find out who I really was. I felt like a nobody, especially when I had to fill forms that asked "Occupation".

Then I started a business and found my calling which lasted for 20 years and I found myself, my voice and self-sufficiency and now I'd be happy to be just a housewife again, no kids though, lol. It comes full circle.

A quote from St Augustine, a 4th Century theologian said that our hearts were made for God and that our souls remains restless until we rest in God.

That's what came to mind when I read your post. I love your art. Have a restful weekend Jennifer. Hugs. JB

4. Jillsy Girl says

so inspirational!

5. Louise Gallagher says

Hello Jennifer! I read your comment on my blog and felt that wonderful pull of "recognition" of a fellow journeyer filled with awe for this voyage of life. And then I came here and found all this wonder and am so joyful I did!

Thank you for dropping into my place and introducing me to the joy here! I so look forward to exploring your space.

Hugs and blessings for the joy you being into this world.

6. S. Etole says

I've just come from Louise's and now this breath of life! Thank you … for encouraging us to fly.

7. Hi Sweet Girl…….Coming to the edge and we will fly…Oh how I love this poem and all the insights within…….and your pictures fit with the words beautifully…..Love, Love, Love all this wonderful color…….

You have a gift of lifting everyone around you up and up…..with your words and your paintings….I am always encouraged in some way after I have visited you….Thank you sweet friend…..

8. That "Break on through to the other side" card is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!! Wow the color is striking and of course the sentiment hits home! Love how you encourage me Jen! You always do just by being beautiful Y♥U!!!

Now off to see your new goodies in your etsy shop.

Hugs to you dear friend!
    Lee Ann

9. That "Break on through to the other side" card is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!! Wow the color is striking and of course the sentiment hits home! Love how you encourage me Jen! You always do just by being beautiful Y♥U!!!

Now off to see your new goodies in your etsy shop.

Hugs to you dear friend!
    Lee Ann

10. Oh how I love this post! The Apollinaire poem is beautiful, and complements your art work perfectly. And the lyrics from the Doors song–so of our era! Such a great idea; break on through to the other side. As long as that is the side where good trumps evil and love rules; I'm there!
    xoxo, Anita

11. Wowza. The way that tumbled out of you is magical and deep and profound. Yeah, follow that.

12. Wowza. The way that tumbled out of you is magical and deep and profound. Yeah, follow that.

13. i've tried commenting twice before… but blogger is giving me grief. just wanted to say i love how colourful your images are … and the inspiring words to accompany.

14. rachel awes says

your art is so beautiful!
    i love that first bird!! heart!
    just yesterday, my dear, i couldn't
    get the lyric out of my head
    "i'm on the edge of glory"…
    some top 40 song playing in the car…
    i consider that space with you..
    let's hold hands & LEAP. xox

15. another amazing piece, powerful, moving, challenging words. You express our hearts so well Jen, different walks but the same lessons, come to the edge indeed…

16. Love it! Love it! Love it! So thought provoking. Thank you for your hot melty words.

17. PaperPumpkin says

You have a way of making me feel lighter. How blessed I am to know you. Hugs to you, Jennifer, and MANY thanks. ~kathy

18. Kellie Graham says

Absolutely beautiful…so creative. And so speaks to me in the place that I find I am in right now.

19. OMG. A poet, an artist, and a photographer! All in one swell foop!

20. do you write or make anything that's not beautiful….xo

21. missing moments says

so inspiring and beautiful!

22. Oh, how lovely! Thank you.

23. Oh, how lovely! Thank you.

24. Christina says

oh you give me such happiness, to soar with.

25. Your collages are absolutely gorgeous! I love your use of color — it just makes me happy!

26. mrs mediocrity says

those are the best kind of what ifs… i can feel that wind in my hair!

27. Hindsfeet says

so Grateful and *SO* Needed….

oh my friend,

28. erin leigh says

yes I love these words, this message. we are called to come to the edge. to be brave. every single day. how else can we fly? thank you for sharing these words and your art!

29. Oh Jennifer,

Also an inspiration visiting your world.

What if … the edge wasn’t so scary and we could just LET GO and soar.
    xoxo

30. Sandra L. says

What beautiful, bright colors! How on earth do you do it? Did you go to art school?

I just visited your Etsy shop. I will have to buy some cards from you–they are so great! Hard to choose.

I too want to open an Etsy shop…I am so scared…that it will take over my life…that I will come to hate my art if it becomes a "business"…that I will fail and I will become invisible. If you have thoughts you would like to share re: Etsy etc. please, e-mail me on Facebook. I'd love to hear from you.