49 candles…..

January snow
49 reasons I’m oh so glad
to be here!
(in completely random order)~birdsong
~the wonder of music
~my warm loving man
~every single color ever born
~every breath my children take
~faces that say “I like you”
~snowflakes and seasons
~the lives and love
of my mom and dad
~the deep beautiful melancholy
of change

~freedom of expression
~the magic of modern photography
~feathers and flight
~the radical relief of releasing control
~every minute spent with my sister and her wonderful tribe
~the symphony of my kid’s laughter
~the unwavering love of God
~the sweet gift of friendship
~sunshine and sunglasses

~the warmth of wood fires
~beautiful and bountiful lighting
~every freckle I’ve collected

~clamor and quiet
~that I can affect change every single time I pray
~the whole juicy business of dreaming~beach time
~the loyalty of a dog
~forgiveness and second chances
~the miracle of our amazingly responsive bodies
~the tastes, textures and beauty of food
~beginnings and endings
~the gazillions of ways “I love you” gets said
~buoyancy
~words….all of them

~movement and dance
~fragrance…poetry for my nose
~the slow and gentle art of getting to know someone
~every dark moment that makes bright ones seem all the more dazzling
~paints, pens, pastels, scissors, paper…..
~the diversity and strength of community
~windows and doors
~moving water

~home
~well run and much loved farms
~the connectivity of computers and ability to learn that language
~the grace to choose and create
~soil and soap
~sunrises and sunsets
~seashells and stones
~daydreams and destiny
~the choice and chance to leave a legacy

“to live’s a privilege; to love is such an art” -Nancy Honeytree

January snow

1. rachel awes on January 15, 2011 at 11:41 pm

happy birthday
    to you & all your freckles
    on your beautiful face
    & the sun that rises & sets
    on your dear, dear life.
    looooooooooooove to you!!
    xoxox

2. Just Be Real on January 16, 2011 at 12:23 am

How long did this take you to list Jen? Wonderful! Blessings.

3. PaperPumpkin on January 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Happy birthday to beautiful, beautiful you, Jennifer!!! Love your list, love you! {And thank you for your blog visits, and your words of inspiration and true friendship. Always.)~Kathy

4. Bren on January 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Happy Birthday my friend, you make 49 look very good 🙂 May you be filled with joy, and promise for the year to come

5. S. Etole on January 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Happy birthday …

love those
    freckles and snowflakes
    on your gentle face

6. Hindsfeet on January 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm

oh Jen……do you know, do you *really* know how much I *savor* your words…..every one, like sucking on a Werthers Butterscotch…..the sweetest treasures flow out of you and hit the bullseye of my heart with their wisdom, simplicity, profundity……

….so grateful to have found the gift of your friendship….like a Russian Doll, opening the gift and finding still more…..

thankful for the forty-nine layers of you, Jen….Happiest happiest birthday, and happiest new year….*your* year.

Liz

7. dulcy on January 17, 2011 at 12:34 am

Happy Birthday Jennifer! Isn't life grand?!
    dulcy

8. Barbara Koob on January 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Happy birthday Jen. Loved your list. Eloquently written words to inspire and encourage thankfulness.

9. Kamana on January 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

oh happy birthday!!! great list too 🙂

10. Sharon Leaf on January 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm

49! Wow!
    I'll be 65 next week…no time for a list of that sort.
    Not going there.
    Nope! Don't have time.
    I'll be too busy eating cake,
    and drinking large of cups of coffee…on and on and on.
    Happy Birthday, dear friend!

11. Mary on January 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Happy Birthday dear, dear one!!
    Many blessings to you as you continue to dive deeper into God's love for you.

much love to you

12. beth on January 18, 2011 at 12:41 am

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY…..sweet girl.
    i'm glad you're here!!…..well, errr, there…..well you know what i mean.
    ALIVE….that's what i mean. i'm glad you're alive and celebrating 49 years with a gratitude list !!!

did you blow out all the candles….did you wish for something amazing ?

13. LeeAnn on January 18, 2011 at 5:01 am

Happy Happy Birthday to you Jen! and I see I had the years wrong from my last comment on last post. oops! Anyway, I hope this year is full of blessings in baskets full in return for the wonderful blessings you have passed on to me this year through your beautiful heart words. ♥

14. LeeAnn on January 18, 2011 at 5:01 am

15. Nancy on January 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm

To you my sweet and talented friend I send happy birthday wishes, many hugs, and pray your next year will be filled to overflowing with blessings…..you bless me so much every time you put pen to paper…..

16. ELK on January 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm

happy 49 reasons .. they are amazing !!

17. Antoinette on January 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm

"I'm an everywoman swept into an extraordinary journey as I dream of growing young. I want to grow up to be childlike, to lose the tyranny of the appropriate and become beautifully wild" – Beautifully quotable!

18. Katherine ( Katie) Corrigan on January 20, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hopping you got your birthday wish. Hugs!

19. Liv on January 21, 2011 at 7:03 am

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday, but so thrilled I did not miss this masterpiece. What a gift you've given to everyone, highlighting these amazing little (and big) miracles so we can all see the magic in our own years on this gorgeous planet. You make it all the more beautiful.

20. Liv on January 21, 2011 at 7:03 am

21. poetic-chronicles on January 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Those things to be grateful for…count me in! Oh I do love the poem, and the passionate, creative and positive temper behind it! Happy 49 Jennifer!!
    Valérie

22. LindyLouMac on January 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Ciao and best wishes for 2011, I am back at last catching up on so much that I missed while I was away from the blogsphere!

I missed your beautiful way with words while I was away.

A belated Happy Birthday

23. Debbie on January 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm

happy birthday! i enjoyed this post and the one before, where you told about turning 40.

24. Paul C on January 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

What an enjoyable list. 'the deep beautiful melancholy of change' is poignant.

25. Odd Chick on January 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I missed your birthday but I can still wish for you a year filled with time to write and to share it with the world. What a gracious gift you have my friend! We are all better because of it.

26. Relyn on February 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Oh, my friend. I love that you celebrate your own birthday with a list of love and appreciation. May your life be full of miracles. May the coming year be full of laughter. May it bring you many happy surprises. May you know how much you are loved.